Friday, May 11, 2012

Once upon a time...


I would like to introduce you to my 2 years and 4 months old lab-pit mix – Adoni. First of all, I am sure you are wondering where the heck the name “Adoni” came from. Well, it’s a long story, but there is plenty of time because this is a blog isn’t it? A wonderful friend of mine from Australia was the inspiration for this unique puppy name. In the aboriginal language of Australia: Adoni = “the sunset.” Okay, I’m sure you have seen my profile epicture with him and are curious as to why a chocolate colored dog has to do with sunsets. When my boyfriend and I got Adoni, he originally had a golden under fluff as a puppy. It sounded like a good idea to me. Anyway, he lost that color and is now just has black and chestnut coloring.


Ryan (boyfriend) and I got him from the Wake County Animal Center on accident. We had originally gone to view a 1 year old black lab mix, but he just wasn’t the right match. He was too hyper and could care less whether we were his new owners or just the person with the food. After walking down a few cages, there he was. He was in a pitiful heap in the corner of a kennel, hacking his brains out. He had a limp, kennel cough, and gunk in his eyes. With only a few days left before being euthanized, he didn’t have much chance of finding a home. His brother had a better chance, since he was healthy and happy. They had taken him away to an adoption event at the local Petsmart. Apparently, they were surrendered as a pair to the animal shelter. He was PERFECT…except for the name they had given him. “King” just didn’t sound right for him. Being 6 months old and only 45 pounds, he was just right. Later we found out he would be 85 pounds, but that’s okay too. After we brought him home, he was excited but still sickly, but with antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory he was a shiny, new penny within weeks. 

Now that you have the background of my chocolate man…you will know have an understanding of my adventures with him on a daily basis, but that’s for later posts.

-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment